Nahuatl mass

John Schwaller jfschwaller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 01:59:09 UTC 2014

Before the conversation goes too far afield, we should remember that before
Vatican II (essentially 1960) the mass was only said in Latin.  This
tradition even pre-dates the Council of Trent, 1565, and the conquest
itself.  The mass in the vernacular in the Catholic world is of very recent
origin.

What this means is that there was no particular reason to translate it into
Nahuatl during the evangelization, since it wasn't even in Spanish.  At the
same time, some of the key prayers, Sanctus, Gloria, Credo, Pater Noster,
etc., were translated into Nahuatl.  As several folks, notably my colleague
Louise Burkhart, have noted there was no standard form for these prayers in
Nahuatl in the 16th century.

--
John F. Schwaller
Professor,