Mass in Nahuatl

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:08:14 UTC 2014

Dear Listeros,

Thanks for all your responses, I agree entirely with your worries, but
would like to clarify a couple of points that were perhaps not clear in the
original mail. The first is that I am not participating in the work, but
was simply invited as an observer. The second is that the majority of the
participating priests are macehualme, i.e. native speakers, and that also
the process of translation exactly includes the priests taking the
translations to the people in their parishes to get input on how to improve
it.It was exactly the Bishops point that it should be the community and not
academic linguists that shsould decide what translations are or arent
acceptable. Also the Bishop does not personally participate in the
translatin but simply organizes and leads the effort and mediates with Rome
and the other Mexican Bishops. And Third, it is not theĀ“case that Rome is
invested in creating a standardized nahuatl, they are only creatng a
satndardized mass (which still allows for local variations to suit
lingustic needs specific to individual cmmunities of speakers) - they do
not intend for this Unified Nahuatl to have any linguistic impact outside
of the sphere of the Catholic church (though in my opinion it undoubtedly
will have).

I will keep you informed about any further developments thhat I become
aware of.

Best wishes,

--
Magnus Pharao Hansen