subject prefix

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 18 21:38:27 UTC 2014

John,

I understand what you're talking about in terms of the "alien"
structure of Nahuatl, in terms of its being a language composed of
"nuclear clauses," as Andrews calls them, which is not what
Indo-European languages are about.

For me "niquitta in chichi" is more like "I see him, which is a dog",
and that "inner" translation helps me in seeing the nuclear clause
nature of Nahuatl. But I agree that there is a zero prefix before
"chichi".

 From this perspective these "yolcameh" you're talking about are indeed
subject prefixes.

I think there might be a challenge is see these subject prefixes as
indeed subject prefixes because of the nature of Indo-European
languages.

I hope I have somewhat understood your question.

Best,

Michael