"Gay" in Nahuatl?

David Young wenakuo at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 16:41:34 UTC 2014

I feel compelled to respond to your inquiry.   A number of years ago I asked one of the elders of the community from Mexico City to tell me about men and women that were gay and lesbian.  He said that there were communities where gay men lived and communities where lesbian women lived in precolumbian times.  You had to be an adult to live in these communities.  The men were referred to as papalotlacatl and the women were yaocihuatl.  They were communities of artisans in the case of men and warrior women in the case of the women.

In many of the Indigenous communities in North America, there are specific words for people that were gender different.  In some cases, there was more than one gender recognized by the communities.  In many communities those that were gender different were revered and held special roles within the community.  With the coming of the Catholic priests, these individuals and the roles that they played became hidden to keep these individuals safe from persecution by the Christians.  The Pueblos, for example, would not talk about their gender different relatives.  The Apache and Navajo held special places in particular ceremonies for the naadle, recognizing four genders.  Many of these roles have been lost over time, the persecution of Christians and the advent of gay liberation that has a "recognize ME because I'm gay" attitude.  The gay movement is in stark contrast to Indigenous notions of humility and recognized role assignment within the community.
  The gay movement has focused on sex rather than community role.

When I lived in Veracruz, Mexico, in 1979, I became familiar with the term Mayate.  In Aztlan (the US southwest) the term means "black person" and it can be pejorative.  In Mexico, it referred to a male penetrative partner in a "homosexual" relationship.  Let me qualify this, much to the chagrin of Mexicanos I imagine, by saying that there is a distinction between what straight men regard as "gay" in the US and what is practiced in Mexico.  My experience is that straight men in Mexico will engage in sexual behavior with other men more readily than in the US.  The "straight" Mexicano men that engage in sex with "gay" men in Mexico in an insertive, active, masculine role are regarded as mayates.  While the "gay" men that are the receptive partners are regarded as maricones, and all of the other pejorative terms you can think of.  If we regard what men do sexually as a reflection of identity then we miss the boat in attempting to find language in
 nahuatl to describe something that is very different today, and for which we, not only refuse to have healthy discussions about, but disregard because of our own inhibitions or prejudices.

The American (read US) paradigm of assigning sexual behavior to deviant identity categories fails to account for a diversity of sexual expression that has absolutely nothing to do with identity.  And, it fails to account for culturally defined, (historically and contemporarily) gender roles outside of the male/female binary that have nothing to do with sexual behavior.

So, while mayatli may be understood to be the "receptive" anal sexual partner, that is not how it is understood in "practice."  A more thorough discourse with those of us that have both lived and studied the larger questions of gender, sexual identity and sexual behavior is in order if there is to be a better understanding of language and how it is used and understood.  Heterosexually identified men can not articulate this issue, "queens" engaging straight men in sex cannot usually articulate this issue, and gay identified men usual inculcate terms, pejorative or otherwise, without full consideration of their implications.  Because of the shame and prejudice, there are rarely healthy cross cultural and cross history discourses on the topics.  My two cents.

David Atekpatzin Young, MA, Curandero
Apache Tribe of Colorado