Altepetl: case of assimilation?

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Oct 5 00:20:34 UTC 2014

Octaviotzin:

I see this as a partial regressive assimilation that occurs when two nouns
are compounded and the first noun, exceptionally, retains the absolutive
suffix -tl, where normally this suffix would be removed to form a regular
compound noun (root + root + absolutive suffix). This is sometimes the case
with lexicalized phrases, in which the second noun begins with a consonant.
The /tl/ of the first noun may become an /l/. To date I have found these
changes:

tl + t > lt
tl + p > lp
tl + m > lm
tl + ch > lch
tl + hu > lhu (/lw/)

Thus, a:ltepe:tl (a:tl + tepe:tl (tl + t > lt)).

The latter "difrasismo" also appears as a nonlexicalized phrase, for example
in the Cantares Mexicanos manuscript: "ynatl, intepetly" (in a:tl in
tepe:tl, with the phoneme /i/ added at the end as a poetic device,
apparently for the sake of rhythm).

We can also find this sort of assimilation in certain anthroponyms:

Xi:huilte:mo:c (xi:huitl + te:mo: (tl + t > lt) + c);