N-ti verber 'have'. morphological meaning

Clayton, Mary L. clayton at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 8 04:03:30 UTC 2014

Michel and listeros,
	Our main point -- for which the fine points of how to translate [-ti -
have] (Joe’s V04) are irrelevant -- is that [-ti - be/become] expresses
an equation, while [-ti - have] expresses a transfer (including the
reflexive meaning to apply to oneself). Given that these two morphemes
have nothing in common except their form, we see no reason to try to
group them together.

	A morpheme is a combination of a FORM and a MEANING, and if a form has
two meanings, or a meaning two forms, where these differences cannot be
explained as some regular or predictable variant, then we have two
separate morphemes. (e.g., /tu/ in English, which is ‘to’, ‘too’, and
‘two’).
	Thus, we (Joe and I) would say that your “two semantic values” for -ti
are simply the meanings of two separate morphemes. The semantic values
that we assign to these in other languages may be open to questions.
They won’t always be “the same” for all instances of one morpheme, and
we may differ at times on how to express the meaning in another
language. (You are quite right that translations raise their own
problems, especially as the number of languages involved increases
beyond two, as I am well aware since my main project is the Vocabulario
trilingue, where I deal with three languages plus English.)
	As a way of expressing the unity of the [-ti - have] morpheme, we find
‘have’ to be a good cover translation, although we agree that in
individual instances, and in specific contexts, other translations will
be better.
	In the preface to the first edition of his Introduction to Classical
Nahuatl, Andrews says (p.x) “Nahuatl is an exotic language. It is not
just foreign like Spanish, German or Russian; it is strangely foreign.”
This characteristic of Nahuatl freqently leads us to “explain” the
meaning of a word (that is HOW a word means, not just WHAT it means) by
using words in ways that certainly aren’t elegant. Thus we translate
nipahti as ‘I have medicine’, rather than ‘I am cured’, ‘I recover’, ‘I
get well’, because it shows us what the relationship is between the
meaning of pahtli and the meaning of -ti, and what the basic meaning of
the combination is. It also “explains” the Nahuatl meaning of the -ti-a
forms, ‘I cause someone to have medicine’, in a way that ‘I cure
someone’ does not. Of course, if we were translating text rather than
defining basic linguistic meanings, we would look for something a
little more elegant -- and a little more English-like.

	One reason for using ‘have’ as the basic translation for -ti is that
it neatly captures the relationship between the very common -tia, which
can be translated ‘to cause to have’ and the (as you point out)
uncommon intransitive form -ti, which is in any case a necessary
jumping off point for the -tia form. -a is a common causative morpheme
in Nahuatl , so adding that to -ti captures both the form and the
meaning of -tia. We agree that whether you see this as a causative or a
benefactive will depend on your translation: “cause X to have Y” sounds
causative, while “give Y to X” sounds benefactive and “provide X with
Y” (a translation we use frequently) can be seen either way. Once
again, the “translation” ‘have’ is not about the fine points of
rendering Nahuatl in English; it is simply an identification of the
general semantic content of the verb-forming element. You want one word
(or maybe two, as in ‘be/become’) to represent the general meaning of
each morpheme. That doesn’t mean that that’s the translation you will
use in all or even most cases.
	For your specific comments on the four verbs that you single out, we
would agree with much of what you say. The BIG point is that none of
these can be translated with “be”, “become” or any other equational
expression.
	Some specifics:
	1) Actually, I would say “For a slave to DO work, produce work”. In
English, we wouldn’t use “make”, and I think that we’re just talking
about differences between French and English, not basic Nahuatl.
	2) and 3)We agree that aspect has a place in some translations, though
in tzinti, the meaning of tzintli carries much of the meaning. For me,
whether a tree “makes”, “has”, or “produces” resin are all about the
same thing. I couldn’t use “gives” unless whatever it “gives” (fruit,
syrup, resin) has a use. But again, we’re talking about English and
French, not Nahuatl. But “The tree is/becomes resin” is out of the
question. That -ti is a different morpheme.
	4) You make a good point about huictli mecapalli, though I’m not sure
which exact figure of speech is being employed. I can imagine it
meaning either “they become digging sticks and tump lines” or “they use
digging sticks and tump lines”. The figure exists primarily in the
juxtaposition of the two entities, regardless of their grammatical
forms. Joe found the other example that you mention. It’s in book 4
p.91 “injc cujtiloque in victli, mecapalli, injc victique,
mecapaltique,” “so they had been forced into bondage and had become
slaves.” (original transcription; Dibble and Anderson’s translation).

	One further point that I intended to take up soon after my first
message, but I got busy with other things, is that I found that the
relationship between the two causatives and the two -ti verbers is not
as absolute as I had originally thought, though a look through Joe’s
data shows that it is in fact much closer to absolute than one would
think from reading Andrews’ exposition, which begins on p.578 of the
second edition of his book.

	I’ll close by quoting the first couple of paragraphs of Andrews presentation.

“54.4. The Intransitive Suffx ti of Possession. The inceptive/stative
suffix ti of 54.2.1. has a homophonous verbstem-forming suffix ti that
creates a denominal intransitive verbstem with the meaning of “to
have/be in possession of (what is signified by the source nounstem).”
This ti of possession is unlike the inceptive/stative ti in that the
verbstem it creates cannot form a deverbal verbstem with ya.
	Another difference between the two suffixes has to do with focus. A
VNC [verbal nuclear clause] formed on the inceptive/stative ti is
oriented toward the subject pronoun (i.e., the predicate identifies or
clarifies the nature of the subject entity just as a subject complement
does in English -- the ti suffix is similar to an English copular
verbword), but a VNC formed on the ti-of-possession is oriented toward
the nounstem source (i.e., it names what in English would be a direct
object-- the ti suffix is similar to an English transitive verbword of
having).”
	Following this is a list of examples from which some of ours were
taken, though I don’t think I used any that aren’t also in Joe’s data.

     Best,
        Mary