FW: Aztecs & armadillos

Ian Mursell Ian.Mursell at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 8 19:24:38 UTC 2014

Hello Listeros,

Charangos remain highly popular instruments throughout much of the Andean
region, from Chile and NW Argentina up to Ecuador, though they're less and
less made with armadillo shell soundboxes now - wood has largely taken
over.  Quite apart from the strain on the armadillo population one of the
weaknesses of armadillo-shell-backed charangos is that they're
structurally weaker and tend to 'bow' in the middle under the pressure
from the ten taut strings, whereas all-wooden ones are stronger all round.
 I returned to London from Chile with (a cheap) one in 1970 and was so
keen to get another that I paid a £1 deposit to London Zoo - writing on
the form something about wanting to study the hair follicles - in
anticipation of their armadillo dying.  I've still got the receipt and
order confirmation!  As far as I know the bloody thing's still going
strong...

They are of course wonderful animals, and charangos - armadillo or wood,
both produce a hauntingly beautiful sound - are hugely evocative of Andean
culture, as well as being central to popular movements inspired by this
culture, such as the New Chilean Song Movement in the '70s.  As
instruments it doesn't look as if they're more than a couple of centuries
old, however.

I remember being horrified to see, in La Paz in the early '70s, dozens of
taxi bonnets bedecked with stuffed armadillos affixed to colourful rugs
during major festivals.  It was said at the time that Peru had banned the
hunting of armadillos as they were getting more and more scarce, and that
if you stood on the Peru-Bolivia border you could see large numbers of
armadillos high-tailing it for sanctuary in Peru...

Good wishes,

Ian

Ian Mursell
Mexicolore, London