Xochicuicatl Cuecuechtli

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Mon Sep 8 20:48:20 UTC 2014

Magnus,
	I think you hit the nail on the head when you write "the language was only an instrument to achieve an aesthetic effect, but not meant to be a language of actual communication. Kind of like a meaningless soundscape, that the Spanish supertitles then inscribed meaning onto. So is this cultural translation or is it colonizing and erasing the Nahuatl text and the voice of the Nahuas who wrote it.” This is the standard purpose for the use of Nahuatl language and glyphs in Mexican culture today: aesthetic effect.
John