pachtli4

M Launey mlauney at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 11 22:01:37 UTC 2014

This is interesting.

As for the plant, there indeed seems to be convincing trans-dialectal evidence. But to my great desappointment, it is not mentioned in Sahagun’s Book XI of the Florentine Codex (probably just Sahagun’s omission).

But about the verb pair pachihui/pachoa, as far as I know there are two of them (could some native speaker confirm ?), with short vs. long /a/, so at least one of them is not related to the plant (is its /a/ short or long, by the way ?)

Best

Michel Launey