chencre

M Launey mlauney at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 21 08:58:35 UTC 2014

Ahem… I’m wary about the following suggestion, but I’ve known or heard about several cases of descendants of French soldiers from the Maximiliano expedition, with some lexical borrowings as a consequence, and chencre looks so much like French chancre (although chunkier is admittedly still less convincing). A chancre on a leg can affect someone’s ability to walk, so suppose one asks some limping French speaker « Hey, what’s the matter with you ? – J'ai un chancre », and then the word is borrowed by synecdoche.

But OK, don’t laugh at me too nastily, I won’t put my life at stake for that.

Best

M.L.