paradigns yauh, huallauh

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Sep 21 21:28:46 UTC 2014

Michel, what you mention is important, and coincides with what Canger wrote in the article I mentioned earlier today. So it looks like this would be a more precise presentation of these paradigms:

YAUH

Present

niyauh, tiyauh, yauh, tihuih (tiyahuih), anhuih (anyahuih), huih (yahuih)

Optative

ma: niyauh, ma: xiyauh, ma: yauh, ma: tihuiya:n, ma: xihuiya:n, ma: huiya:n

HUALLAUH

Present

nihua:llauh, tihua:llauh, hua:llauh, tihua:lhuih, anhua:lhuih, hua:lhuih

Optative

ma: nihua:llauh, ma: xihua:llauh, ma: hua:llauh, ma: tihua:lhuiya:n, ma: xihua:lhuiya:n, ma: hua:lhuiya:n

Listeros, do we have a consensus on this?

Can we speak of an irregular plural optative suffix -y:an, used instead of the plural optative suffix -ca:n, with the irregular verbs ya/yauh/hui and hua:lla:/hua:llauh/hua:lhui? Or is there a better way to describe the suffix -ya:n that appears in these plural optative forms?

Like Michael, I'm curious about what John had in mind when he posted the initial question.

Best,

David