paradigns yauh, huallauh

M Launey mlauney at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 21 22:40:28 UTC 2014

Yes, yauh is one of the two irregular verbs in classical Nahuatl (the other is câ, /ka’/, or cah if you like; the other so-called irregular ones like mani, onoc are defective, not irregular). There is no other example of a plural suffix –yān.

By the way, I object to considering huāllauh as a verb of its own, and I’m afraid that in so doing, many colonial and modern grammarians are influenced by the fact that in European languages there are two different verbs to translate yauh and huāllauh. But it is clearly huāl- + yauh, with the directional prefix huāl- which marks ‘motion toward’ (so huāl-yauh is ‘go closer’). Since huāl- is widely used with all kind of verbs, there is no reason to treat differently yauh vs. huāl-lauh and, say, ēhua vs. huāl-ēhua, mo-cuepa vs. huāl-mo-cuepa etc.

Moreover, the paradigm has two prefixes, huāl- (motion toward) and on- (motion away), the latter being of still more frequent use. So there is no reason either to treat huāl-lauh differently from on-yauh ‘go away’.

Best

Michel Launey