hu/n>c

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Mon Sep 22 10:48:11 UTC 2014

Joe,
1. I firmly believe (sounds like the beginning of the creed or an act of contrition) that -huia is indeed an applicative suffix, built on an unattested base of the -oa intransitive verber. Y es más, I think that when -oa looses the final -a and and goes into its combining form, the -o collapses into the -hu that it probably originated as in the first place, and then all we do is add the normal -ia applicative suffix (Amen).
2. As far as the intransitive -oa goes, I think it also can be broken down, although I haven’t thought it through. The -o or -hu(i) was probably an impersonal verber, and the -a is a valence adder (I think that pretty much all transitive verbs ending in a, including causatives and benefactives, use this -a), which in this case adds a subject.
3. And I think that -ia consists of two morphemes, but that’s another topic.
John