[systems-of-nominal-classification] Gender disagreement or superclassing

Felicity Meakins f.meakins at uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 9 06:29:46 UTC 2014

Hi Grev,

Great, thanks for this! Apart from Bininj Gun-wok, there are some other Gunwinyguan languages and Wambaya and Nungali (related to Jingulu) where this type of superclassing occurs. We had been scouring the joint for some non-Australian examples, but perhaps there aren't any.

Interestingly we also find a similar effect for number in Jingulu too which might be a part of the larger picture.

Felicity
FELICITY MEAKINS  | ARC Research Fellow (DECRA)
Linguistics | SLCCS | University of Queensland |
Brisbane QLD 4072 | AUSTRALIA
RM 517 | Gordon Greenwood Bldg (32) |
' +61 7 3365 2877 | ' +61 411 404 546 | 7 +61 7 3365 6799 | * f.meakins at uq.edu.au<mailto:f.meakins at uq.edu.au> |
web www.slccs.uq.edu.au//index.html?page=127733&pid=124851