OAI protocol version 1.1 released

Gary Simons Gary_Simons at SIL.ORG
Tue Jul 3 17:30:51 UTC 2001

Dear implementers,

Appended is a recent posting to the OAI implementers announcing the release
of version 1.1 of the metadata harvesting protocol.  My first reaction was,
"I thought they promised to freeze it for a year, " but on reading the
referenced documents, I see that they have not changed the requests at all.
The changes are only for the purpose of bringing the OAI protocol into line
with the XML schema specification which was recently adopted by the W3C in
final form (i.e. after the release of OAI's version 1.0).  The changes that
will need to be made in your implementation are trivial and are well laid
out in the migration.htm document referenced below.  Note, too, that as of
December 1, 2001, version 1.0 of the OAI protocol will be declared obsolete
and no longer allowed by the OAI's registration service.

Good luck,
Gary

________
Steven Bird, University of Pennsylvania (sb at ldc.upenn.edu)
Gary Simons, SIL International (gary_simons at sil.org)
OLAC Coordinators (www.language-archives.org)

--------------

Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 15:47:04 -0400
From: herbert van de sompel <herbertv at cs.cornell.edu>
To: OAI-implementers <oai-implementers at oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu>,
   OAI-general <oai-general at oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu>,
   oai steering <OAI-SC-L at LISTSERV.VT.EDU>
Subject: [OAI-implementers] OAI protocol version 1.1

dear all,

(apologies for cross-posting)

As announced, we are releasing version 1.1 of the Metadata Harvesting
protocol of the OAI.  This version is compliant with the W3C XML Schema
Recommendation of May 2001 (see primer at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-0-20010502/).

* Version 1.1 of the Metadata Harvesting protocol of the OAI is now
available at http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm .

* Instruction for migrating from version 1.0 to version 1.1 are at
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/1.1/migration.htm .

* Details about the OAI strategy to phase out version 1.0 are at
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/1.1/migration-strategy.htm .

The migration should really be simple. We wish you the best of luck with
it.

cheers

Carl and Herbert