The metadata of the LACITO Archive are now coded in OLAC

Michel Jacobson jacobson at IDF.EXT.JUSSIEU.FR
Wed Sep 19 09:02:26 UTC 2001

Greetings,

We are pleased to announce that all metadata of the LACITO Archive are now
coded in both Dublin Core and OLAC formats.

These metadata can be accessed using the OAI protocol:
· directly, via the URL
http://lacito.archivage.vjf.cnrs.fr/servlet/metadata (e.g. by entering the
request: http://lacito.archivage.vjf.cnrs.fr/servlet/metadata?verb=Identify).
· via Hussein Suleman's OAI repository explorer
(http://oai.dlib.vt.edu/~oai/cgi-bin/Explorer/oai1.1/testoai).
· (Coming soon) via the OLAC Service Provider at
http://www.language-archives.org
· by consulting the archives on our site: http://lacito.archivage.vjf.cnrs.fr

The OAI service provider is implemented in XSLT. The source code
(stylesheet) may be found at:
http://lacito.archivage.vjf.cnrs.fr/archives/styles/oai.xsl

Remark:  In formatting our metadata in OLAC, we felt the need for a
convention allowing us to specify the software tools which we provide for
processing certain resources. In particular, we provide specialized
stylesheets, etc., for processing our XML documents. A possible solution
would be to link the XML resource to a software resource via the <Relation>
element. The current definition of this element would require us to code
the OAI identifier of the software resource as its content, e.g.:
<Relation>oai:lacito:myPgm</Relation>. However, this leaves open the
question of how the user is to call the software tool and apply it to a
given XML resource. A non elegant solution might be to create an OAI
identifier for each way the software in question can be called. Some
extension of the semantics of the Relation element or of the controlled
vocabulary of its attribute may be desirable for this purpose.