workshop program

Steven Bird sb at CS.MU.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 23 10:26:21 UTC 2002

Folks,

I'm sorry that the workshop program is long overdue.  There is a lot to
cover, and Gary and I would like to solicit your input on priorities, and
on the contributions of each participant.

We think the top level goals are:
1. to effect the transition to the operational phase of OLAC
2. to set the agenda for the coming year
3. to foster ongoing collaboration amongst the participants
   in the pursuit of the above

In support of these goals, the primary workshop activities need to be:
1. presenting and reviewing all the standards, understanding the
   implementation issues, and releasing version 1.0
2. finalizing, testing and documenting key recommendations - the metadata vocabularies
3. evaluating the community infrastructure - website, services, documentation

Here then is a comprehensive overview of the OLAC infrastructure, both
existing and planned, along with various suggestions about what we
could accomplish before/during the workshop, and who could possibly take
the lead in doing or delegating the work.  There is a lot here, but many
items can be dispensed with quickly (e.g. a 10 minute report), while some
big things that are beyond the scope of our workshop can be put on the
agenda of a working group for 2003.  I hope that the work will be shared
around, so that everyone has significant activites to do in the remaining
six weeks.

So please suggest priorities, identify any omissions, and volunteer to work
on something.  I'll convert this into a provisional program by the start of
next week.

Thanks,
-Steven

----

Annotations:
feedback: feedback requested before workshop
overview: a short presentation (10 minutes)
presentation: full presentation (20-30 minutes)
wg: working group(s) will process this

1. STANDARDS (Tuesday)

All of these need to be presented on day 1 (even if briefly) to make
sure there is enough time for feedback and consensus building if any
issues do arise.

a) OLAC-Process [feedback, overview] - Gary Simons?
   * present and discuss at start of workshop because it
     defines how we will operate even during the workshop

b) OLAC-PMH [overview, wg] - Steven Bird?
   * the primary issue will be the transition from OAI 1.1 to 2.0
   * those who implement data providers to discuss

c) OLAC Metadata Format [feedback, presentation, wg] - Steven Bird?
   * new work on representing OLAC metadata in XML
   * more information will be circulated this week
   * those who implement data providers to discuss

d) OLAC Metadata Extension Mechanism [presentation, wg] - Steven Bird?
   * how to express a vocabulary in a harvestable schema fragment
   * those who implement 3rd party extensions to discuss

2. RECOMMENDATIONS (Tuesday/Wednesday)

These are our vocabularies, along with any new proposals for recommendations
(e.g. best practices for digitizing audio recordings).

a) OLAC-Language [overview] - Gary Simons?, Anthony Aristar?

b) OLAC-Linguistic-Type [feedback, overview, wg?] - Heidi Johnson?, Helen Aristar Dry?
   * a vocabulary document to be circulated before the workshop
   * participants to apply the terms to their repository
   * the working group meeting may not be necessary

c) OLAC-Linguistic-Fields [feedback, overview] - Helen Aristar Dry?
   * a vocabulary document to be circulated before the workshop
   * participants to apply the terms to their repository

d) OLAC-Role: [feedback, overview, wg] - Heidi Johnson?
   * a vocabulary document to be circulated before the workshop
   * participants to apply the terms to their repository
   * still need to consider roles in the creation of language technologies
     and corpus publications

e) OLAC-Rights: [feedback, overview, wg] - Heidi Johnson?, Steven Bird?

Other vocabularies to consider OLAC-Encoding, OLAC-Format, OLAC-Functionality.
Time to be given to testing the vocabularies on existing repositories.

3. ARCHIVES AND SERVICES (Wednesday)

a) review metadata quality for existing archives [feedback]

b) OLAC website [feedback]

c) Registration [overview] - Gary Simons?

d) Vida/ORE/ORyX/OLACA/Viser [overview]
   * need to identify developers to help in 2003

e) LINGUIST [feedback, overview] - Helen Aristar Dry?, Anthony Aristar?

4. SUB-COMMUNITY EXTENSIONS (Wednesday)

a) Language technology [feedback, overview, wg] - Baden Hughes?
   * vocabulary documents to be circulated before the workshop
   * work on vocabularies for OS, CPU, Sourcecode, Distribution

b) Language documentation [overview, wg] - Heidi Johnson?
   * IMDI/OLAC mapping?
   * possible common vocabularies across IMDI and OLAC

5. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES (Wednesday/Thursday)

Useful tools that people have developed:

- exporting MS Access to ORyX files for Net-DC - Andrew Cole?
- Net-DC experience - Khalid Choukri?
- AILLA database model - Erik Grostic?

5. AGENDA FOR 2003 (Thursday)

a) more best practices
   * there are many areas where we need best practice recommendations
     [http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/sb/home/publications.html#0204020]
   * who wants to pick a need and start working on a recommendation?

b) more data providers
   * outreach, special needs, help with data providers
   * many subcommunities are creating resources
   * who wants to commit to helping them hook up with OLAC?
   + linguistics - accessible OLAC introduction - Jeff Good?
   + language technology
   + national archives
   + text archives
   + museum archives (e.g. 19C fieldwork materials)
   + antiquity (e.g. classical and ancient Near East text collections)
   + others?

c) more service providers
   * regional services (e.g. Asia)
   * services tailored for research needs (e.g. typology)

d) proposals for other work that needs to be done

--end--