proposed revision of format.os

Baden Hughes baden at COMPULING.NET
Fri Sep 20 11:57:22 UTC 2002

In working with several archives and drawing on other IT experience, I'd
like to make some proposed changes to the format.os schema.

---
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
targetNamespace="http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/0.4/">
<annotation>
<documentation>1.0 OLAC Schema for operating system types, Steven Bird,
4/27/01 1.1 draft OLAC Schema for operating system types, Baden Hughes,
19/09/02</documentation>
</annotation>
<simpleType name="OLAC-OS-Code">
  <restriction base="string">
  <enumeration value="Unix" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/Linux" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/Solaris" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/SunOS" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/SCO" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/AIX" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/BSD" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/FreeBSD" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/OpenBSD" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/NetBSD" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/DECAlpha" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/GNU-Hurd" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/HPBLS" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/HPUX" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/IRIX" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/AIX" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/UnixWare" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/Xenix" />
  <enumeration value="Unix/VMS" />
  <enumeration value="SonyClieOS" />
  <enumeration value="Amiga" />
  <enumeration value="PalmOS" />
  <enumeration value="BeOS" />
  <enumeration value="NextSTEP" />
  <enumeration value="MacOS" />
  <enumeration value="MacOS/OSX" />
  <enumeration value="OS2" />
  <enumeration value="MSDOS" />
  <enumeration value="4DOS" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/win31" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/win95" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/winNT" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/win98" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/win2k" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/winCE" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/winME" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/winXP" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/PocketPC" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/PocketPC2002" />
  <enumeration value="MSWindows/.NET" />
  </restriction>
  </simpleType>
  </schema>
---

You can also find this draft schema at
http://www.compuling.net/projects/olac/190902-draft-olac-format.os.xsd

These changes essentially add to the list if possible operating systems
that I've encountered in classifying software.

If preferred, I can circulate to the list. If there's others interested
in working on this document, I'm more than happy to collaborate.

Baden