proposed revision of format.cpu

Baden Hughes baden at COMPULING.NET
Fri Sep 20 12:15:53 UTC 2002

In working with several archives and drawing on other IT experience, I'd
like to make some proposed changes to the format.cpu schema, (without
regurgitating the entire history of computing in the process :-).

---
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
        targetNamespace="http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/0.4/">

  <annotation>
    <documentation>
      1.0 OLAC Schema for CPUs, Steven Bird, 5/7/01
      1.1 draft OLAC Schema for CPU, Baden Hughes, 19/09/02
    </documentation>
  </annotation>

  <simpleType name="OLAC-CPU-Code">
    <restriction base="string">
      <enumeration value="x86"/>
      <enumeration value="MIPS"/>
      <enumeration value="Alpha"/>
      <enumeration value="Sparc"/>
      <enumeration value="680x0"/>
      <enumeration value="PA-RISC"/>
      <enumeration value="ARM"/>
      <enumeration value="ARM32"/>
      <enumeration value="Itanium"/>
      <enumeration value="IBM System 360/370/390"/>
      <enumeration value="Clipper"/>
      <enumeration value="i370"/>
      <enumeration value="i860"/>
      <enumeration value="i960"/>
      <enumeration value="Power4"/>
      <enumeration value="Cray"/>
      <enumeration value="m68k"/>
      <enumeration value="m88k"/>
      <enumeration value="ns32k"/>
      <enumeration value="IBM rs6000"/>
      <enumeration value="IBM rs10000"/>
      <enumeration value="s390"/>
      <enumeration value="VAX"/>
      <enumeration value="PowerPC"/>
      <enumeration value="DragonBall"/>
      <enumeration value="StrongARM"/>
      <enumeration value="Intel 8088"/>
      <enumeration value="Intel 8080"/>
      <enumeration value="Intel 8008"/>
      <enumeration value="Intel IA-64"/>
      <enumeration value="Motorola 6502"/>
      <enumeration value="Motorola 6800"/>
      <enumeration value="Motorola ColdFire"/>
      <enumeration value="Zilog Z80"/>
      <enumeration value="Transmeta Caruso"/>
      <enumeration value="SH3"/>
      <enumeration value="x86_64"/>

    </restriction>
  </simpleType>

</schema>
---

You can also find this draft schema at
http://www.compuling.net/projects/olac/190902-draft-olac-format.cpu.xsd

These changes essentially add to the list if possible operating systems
that I've encountered in classifying cpu architectures relevant to
language software. This includes some older mid-range style
architectures and the latest handheld architectures.

If preferred, I can circulate to the list. If there's others interested
in working on this document, again I'm more than happy to collaborate.

Baden