updated OLAC Archive Report Cards

Baden Hughes badenh at CS.MU.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 28 00:14:15 UTC 2004

Dear OLAC Implementers,

You may recall that in March, we announced a a new service which had
recently been added to the OLAC site, namely archive report cards.  These give
summary statistics for each repository and an assessment of the quality of
the repository's metadata against both external best practice
recommendations and the relative use practices within the OLAC context.

An updated version of the archive report cards are now available - changes
include:

- updating evaluation algorithm to account for changes in DC
recommendations (eg use of
contributor rather than creator)
- updated labelling of graphs to be more consistent with OLAC terminology

The report cards can be accessed by clicking the "REPORT CARD" links on
the OLAC Archives page [1].  The report is also available for the full set
of repositories [2].  Information about how these reports are generated
is also available [3].  Reports are updated after every harvest, every 12
hours at the current point in time.

The evaluation metric rewards the use of OLAC extensions
(controlled vocabularies), and what we
consider to be core DC elements: title, date, subject, description, and
identifier.

The service was developed by Amol Kamat, Baden Hughes, and Steven Bird
at the University of Melbourne, with sponsorship from the Department of
Computer Science and Software Engineering.  We welcome your feedback.

Regards

Baden Hughes

[1] http://www.language-archives.org/archives.php4
[2] http://www.language-archives.org/tools/reports/archiveReportCard.php?archive=all