metadata

Diane Hillmann dih1 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Oct 1 19:27:34 UTC 2004

Nick Thieberger wrote:

> > >We also ask that 'isTranscriptof', 'isTranscribedby' be added as
>attributes of the
> > >relation element.

Although I'm agnostic on the issue of whether "isTranscriptOf" is different
enough from "isVersionOf" to be worth adding as an OLAC domain refinement,
I'd like to suggest that "isTranscribedBy" is another kettle of fish.

What you're really trying to do with that, I think, is describe a
contributor "role" rather than a relationship in the sense of the other
Relation refinements, none of which relate resources to persons, only to
other resources.  This business of roles is something that a lot of
implementations want to do, and you'll be pleased to hear DCMI is on the
verge of making an official recommendation on how to do that.  The final
documents are on the docket for the Usage Board meeting in Shanghai in one
week, and I don't anticipate that there will be any impediments to
recommendation by the board.  How long it will take to get the
documentation out in official form is unknown, and sad to say our record
isn't very good on that, but we're trying to improve ... ;-)

Just a suggestion from left field, but I know you guys aren't interested in
reinventing wheels (far too much real work to do ... ).

Regards,
Diane Hillmann
Member, DCMI Usage Board
Editor, "Using Dublin Core"