geographic interfaces to OLAC data

Anthony Aristar aristar at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Wed Jun 14 11:16:24 UTC 2006

Just to add a bit of information here:  we (i.e. LINGUIST List) were
funded this year to build a GIS system for language data, in a project
called LL-MAP.  The system we're building, though it could certainly
use Google Earth if it wanted to, will not depend on it, since it will
be a full implementation of ArcIMS.  We've been negotiating with GMI,
the people who did the polygons for Ethnologue, and they have
tentatively agreed to let us serve their data as part of our maps.  And
the database design is just about done.

Our language system already incorporates language subgrouping (that is,
each language "knows" where it belongs in a subgroup).  These
subgroupings are now being updated and expanded in another funded
project called Multitree. So, since we run an OLAC harvester, we will
be able to run the kind of queries that have been talked about on
either the DELAMAN or the OLAC-IMPLEMENTERS list.  And in theory all
OLAC data which has geographical information should be incorporable
into the system.

Anthony

Quoting Baden Hughes <badenh at cs.mu.oz.au>:

> Hi OLAC-Implementers
>
> Supposing :-) we had centroid point data for each language listed in
> the Ethnologue, and were going to build some geography-oriented
> services for OLAC. What sorts of things would people be interested in
> seeing ? Some ideas:
>
> - geographic coverage map per archive and for all archives, with "dots
> on maps" representing languages which have resources listed in OLAC
>
> - geographic coverage map per archive and for all archives, with "dots
> on maps" representing resource types (eg dictionaries) listed in OLAC
>
> - search by country, based on a graphical map selector interface
> (click a country, see all resources for that country)
>
> - search for related resources by geographic proximity
>
> NB we are not allowed to distribute the data, but there is no reason
> why we can't build a service or two with an API to allow others to use
> it in conjunction with an OLAC-centric service.
>
> Regards
>
> Baden

                **************************************
He either fears his fate too much,                   Or his deserts are
small, That puts it not unto the touch                      To win or
lose it all

James Graham - Marquis of Montrose

                     Semper Litteris Mandate

Anthony Aristar                   Professor
Moderator, LINGUIST               Principal Investigator, EMELD Project
Linguistics Program
Dept. of English                  aristar at linguistlist.org
Wayne State University            aristar at wayne.edu
5057 Woodward