FAQ for Implementers

Gary Simons gary_simons at SIL.ORG
Wed Dec 19 17:30:03 UTC 2007

Dear implementers,

A critique that we have heard many times is that there is not enough
documentation for would-be implementers about how to implement an OLAC data
provider.  As a first step toward remedying that, we are starting to work on
an FAQ for OLAC implementers.  I've appended the current list of questions.
Before we start working on the answers, we want to be sure we have the right
set of questions.

Please give us your feedback.  What important questions have we missed?

Thanks,

Gary (and Steven)

_______
Steven Bird, University of Melbourne and University of Pennsylvania
Gary Simons, SIL International and GIAL
OLAC Coordinators (www.language-archives.org)

-------------------

Draft list of questions for OLAC Implementers' FAQ

1. How do I implement an OLAC metadata repository?
2. How do I decide what to treat as an individual record?
3. Where can I find good examples of sample metadata records?

Implementing a static repository

4. Where can I find sample code for generating a static repository from a
database?
5. How would I create and maintain a static repository by hand?
6. How do I test whether my repository is valid?
7. Where do I put my repository when it is ready to publish?
8. How do I register it with OLAC?
9. What do I do when I want to update the information in my repository?

Implementing a dynamic repository

10. Where can I find sample code for implementing a dynamic repository?
11. How do resumption tokens work?
12. How do I test my repository to make sure it works?
13. Why aren't my changes being harvested?