Reminder: Call for review of new metadata documents

Helen Aristar-Dry hdry at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Fri Mar 28 14:19:12 UTC 2008

That's a great explanation, Gary; and I'll buy everything in it except
that it is "straightforwardly implied"!  (Great oxymoronic phrase!)

Seriously, I will buy this reasoning when I read it, as below; and, as
you know, I think that resource discovery IS the right focus for OLAC.
But I don't think that everyone gets that from the mission statement.
Why don't you just add part of the explanation below to the mission
statement and clarify it for everyone.

It could read "... create a virtual library of language resources
through building a collection and maintaining a resource catalog.  OLAC
is (1) building a virtual collection through archive recruitment and the
development of gateways to other aggregated catalogs and (2) maintaining
an online metadata catalog to aid in resource discovery.  The OLAC
metadata standard is the specification for creating an entry for the
catalog."

But maybe Jeff will have a better idea.
Thanks,
-Helen

Gary Simons wrote:
> [...]
>>> short-lived temporary solution. Thus, we have these new refinements on
>>> the
>>> list of changes for version 2.0 of our metadata format.
>>>
>>> -Gary
>>>

>>>            Gary Simons
>>>            <gary_simons at SIL.
>>>            ORG>                                                       To
>>>            Sent by: OLAC             OLAC-IMPLEMENTERS at LISTSERV.LINGUIST
>>>            Implementers List         LIST.ORG
>>>            <OLAC-IMPLEMENTER                                          cc
>>>            S at LISTSERV.LINGUI
>>>            STLIST.ORG>                                           Subject
>>>                                      Call for review of new metadata
>>>                                      documents
>>>            03/05/2008 10:35
>>>            PM
>>>

>>>            Please respond to
>>>              Open Language
>>>                Archives
>>>                Community
>>>            Implementers List
>>>            <OLAC-IMPLEMENTER
>>>            S at LISTSERV.LINGUI
>>>               STLIST.ORG>
>>>

>>> Dear implementers,
>>>
>>> Many of you also subscribe to the OLAC-GENERAL list and so have gotten
>>> the
>>> general announcement about this call for review for new metadata
>>> documents.
>>> Those of you who have implemented an OLAC data provider are directly
>>> affected since this new work focuses on ways of improving the quality of
>>> the
>>> metadata in our implementations.  In this message we repeat the general
>>> announcement for the benefit of those not subscribed to OLAC-GENERAL,
> and
>>> then we supply further information that is relevant to you as
>>> implementers.
>>>
>>> Six months ago the US National Science Foundation awarded funding for a
>>> project named "OLAC: Accessing the World's Language Resources" which
> aims
>>> greatly improve access to language resources for linguists and the
>>> broader
>>> communities of interest. If you are interested in learning more about
> the
>>> project, you may visit the project home page at:
>>>
>>>  http://olac.wiki.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> In the first phase of the project we are focusing on improving metadata
>>> quality as a prerequisite to improving the quality of search.  To that
>>> end
>>> we have drafted some new documents that can serve as a basis for
>>> improving
>>> and measuring metadata quality within our community:
>>>
>>>  Best Practice Recommendations for Language Resource Description
>>>  http://www.language-archives.org/REC/bpr.html
>>>
>>>  OLAC Metadata Usage Guidelines
>>>  http://www.language-archives.org/NOTE/usage.html
>>>
>>>  OLAC Metadata Quality Metrics
>>>  http://www.language-archives.org/NOTE/metrics.html
>>>
>>> These documents have been reviewed in Draft status by the Metadata
>>> Group. After significant revision, they are now promoted to Proposed
> [...]
>>> for. That is the issue addressed by the third document listed above.
>>>
>>> We have implemented the proposed Metadata Quality Score so that you
>>> can see
>>> the implications for your current metadata. (As the documents are
> revised
>>> express community consensus, the implementation of the metrics will be
>>> updated to match.) The metadata quality analysis as currently
> implemented
>>> is
>>> accessible from a test version of the Participating Archives page. The
>>> site
>>> has no links to this test page; it is accessed by entering this URL in a
>>> browser:
>>>
>>>  http://www.language-archives.org/archives-new.php
>>>
>>> Follow the "Sample Record" link for your archive to see the quality
> score
>>> for the sample record named in your Identify response, along with
>>> comments
>>> on what can be done to improve the score. Follow the "Metrics" link to
>>> see
>>> the average quality score for the records you are currently providing.
>>> Kudos to the Audio Archive of Linguistic Fieldwork (Berkeley), Centre de
>>> Ressources pour la Description de l'Oral (CRDO), and the CHILDES Data
>>> Repository who are already getting scores around 8 or higher.  The
>>> rest of
>>> us have room for significant improvement!
>>>
>>> Eventually, this new Participating Archives page will replace the one
>>> that
>>> is currently accessed from the ARCHIVES link in the OLAC site banner.
>>> However, this will not happen right away. After the current round of
>>> review
>>> and any subsequent revisions, the documents will be put to the OLAC
>>> Council,
>>> who will check the revised documents and promote them to Candidate
> status
>>> when they feel they are ready. Next we will issue a call for
>>> implementation
>>> and give at least one month for implementer feedback. Based on that
>>> feedback, final revisions will be made to the satisfaction of the
> Council
>>> who will then grant Adopted status.  The new Participating Archives page
>>> will not replace the current one until the new guidelines and metrics
> are
>>> adopted.
>>>
>>> This discussion of process is to let you know that you will probably
> want
>>> plan to update the implementation of your metadata repository some time
>>> within the next few months. When these new metadata recommendations and
>>> usage guidelines are officially adopted, the public will be able to
>>> see the
>>> metrics scores for your repository. In the meantime, it is just other
>>> implementers who are seeing them. You need not wait until the Candidate
>>> for implementation to begin implementing changes.  As soon as your

hdry at linguistlist.org