Testing quarterly report to participating archives

Gary Simons gary_simons at SIL.ORG
Wed Sep 24 21:26:44 UTC 2008

Dear Implementers,

One of the points in our current plan for improving the OLAC infrastructure is:

   1.1e Quarterly reporting: Develop an automated quarterly report to be
   emailed to curators to inform them of their metadata quality and
   currency and their usage statistics.

We are happy to announce that this is ready for testing and a test report
for each participating archive will be emailed within hours to the
designated adminEmail for the archive, as well as the curatorEmail.

We trust that this will help you to keep track of what is happening with
your OLAC data provider and will encourage you to roll up your sleeves to
bring it up to date. If you find errors in the report or have any other
feedback on it, feel free to discuss that on this list if your comments
seems applicable to the community as a whole or, if not, send them to just
olac_project at gial.edu.

I also want to remind you that our Call for Implementation for upgrading
to version 1.1 of the OLAC metadata schema ends in another week.  As
announced in the original notice on this mailing list, the implementation
period will close on 1 OCTOBER 2008, after which time we will move forward
on making the new archives directory and metrics pages part of the public
site.  For the original notice concerning the call, see the list archives:

  http://lists.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0807&L=olac-implementers#1

The document with instructions for how to upgrade is found on the OLAC Wiki at:

  http://olac.wiki.sourceforge.net/Call_for_1.1

If you would like help thinking through what your archive could do to
improve its metadata quality, we have a professional archivist who is
available to review your current metadata records and give advice about how
to improve their quality. If you are interested in taking advantage of this
opportunity, please send a request to olac_project at gial.edu.

Best,
-Gary

____
Steven Bird, University of Melbourne and University of Pennsylvania
Gary Simons, SIL International and GIAL
 OLAC Coordinators (www.language-archives.org)