The Vindaloo Agenda

Michael Appleby michael at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Thu Aug 28 07:08:23 UTC 2003

Hello everyone,

Heidi wrote,

> Can't someone from LINGUIST (hint hint) tell us what it costs to have
> a room?

Well, I'm pleased to say that LSA provides us the room for free, though if
the hotel charges extra for internet access, we pay for it (a couple of
hundred dollars).  We get two hours, usually spread over two days.
Originally, we did ask about space in the publishers area, but this was
too expensive for us.

Last year, we were quite out of the way, but we still got a reasonable
number of people visiting.  I wouldn't say we get many passers-by,
however; most people have specific questions and seem to take time out of
their schedules.  LSA includes our office hours in the conference
programme, and we try to draw people in by putting flyers on the
registration desk and trying to look prominent in our t-shirts.  I do like
Heidi's suggestion of setting up computers, and this of course would be
much easier in a separate room than in the publishers' area.

> Is anyone from this group going to Boston?

LINGUIST List will be at LSA this year, and we're planning to highlight
E-MELD and the school of Best Practice, so OLAC will get publicity in this
way.  We only recently sent an email to LSA to say we would like office
hours again, so there is still time to arrange something.

 - Michael