OLAC-Outreach "Office hours" in Boston

Jeff Good jcgood at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Nov 27 01:36:04 UTC 2003

Debbie (and all other relevant parties),

 From Debbie Anderson:
> I can work up a handout with Unicode-related suggestions and can send
> copies on to your parents for distribution at the LSA, but await the
> final report from Dafydd for our WG report.

That would be great. This is making me think: Right now, AILLA will be
giving us something, I assume the ANLC will if it has something
(Gary--let me know if you'll be able to), the Survey of California and
Other Indian Langs (Debbie, see below). Who else should I ask for
something from? AIATSIS? Something from OLAC itself (Steven--any ideas
on what this could be)? Rosetta? LDC?

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know and I'll get in contact with
the relevant people.

 From Debbie Anderson:
> Q 1: How many copies should we send?

Good question--and also almost unanswerable from my perspective.
Michael, do you have any sense of how many people visit Linguist office
hours? Is it along the lines of, say, 50 or 100? Or even more? Less?

 From Debbie Anderson:
> Q 2 for Jeff: Also, what should I have the Survey at UCB write up? A
> description of what they have, what needs to be done, etc.?

This could be relevant for other people, so I'll start by being broad.
If some group already has a brochure--they can just go with that.
Otherwise, I think the goal here is to (i) educate people about what's
going on and (ii) give them some indication of who out there can help
them/who they could help.

So, if I were the Survey (thanks for volunteering to get in touch with
them), I'd think a write up would include (i) the nature of the
materials in the archive (including links to the Berkeley Language
Center), (ii) the kinds of metadata they've been working with for
years, (iii) the nature of any current metadata efforts, (iv) any other
"future directions" they might have. For example, from time to time,
people talk about digitizing the Survey's collections. If that's still
an active idea, it could go into a write up.

The hope would be that someone, who we are trying to reach, would pick
this up and realize that the Survey can help them or they could help
the Survey.

That's my sense of what these brochures would be for at least--but if
anyone out there had different ideas, let us know!

Jeff