OLAC Compliance and the Survey

Marc Ettlinger marce at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Oct 21 22:22:21 UTC 2003

Jeff,
Hope things in the 'burgh are going great. It'd be neat to hear some news.
Here in Berkeley, we're planning to move the Survey into a relational
database, and I thought it'd be a good chance to get it OLAC compliant, or
at least make sure our database is correctly designed for OLAC compliance
when we can clean up the data.

I'm not sure if there's a standard established or what the mediating
authority is for the metadata on data archives.
The data the survey collects is:

language
family
stock
number (basically a smart-code name for the record)
collector
consultant
content (e.g. vocab, etymology, dictionary, etc.)
medium
year
comment
x-ref (for moved records or BLC data)