upcoming events

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Aug 31 19:19:03 UTC 2004

Dear all,
I promised to post the news and notes from July's EMELD meeting at the
beginning of fall semester, so here it comes. For those of you who
weren't
there, we had a very useful meeting in Detroit one evening. Participants
included Gary Simons, Jeff Good, Barbara Need, Jim Mason, Emily Bender,
and other people that I couldn't hear because it was a very noisy bar -
er,
meeting environment.

We talked about the 2 major upcoming outreach events, both of which will
occur at the LSA annual meeting in San Francisco in January.
http://www.lsadc.org/annmeet/index.html

Jeff & I just submitted the final proposal for a 3.5 hour tutorial
entitled
"Archiving and language resources, or how to keep your data from
becoming
endangered." We have a good roster of speakers who will present topics
about which we feel the field needs lots of educating, including making
archival
quality recordings, working with legacy data, etc etc. Here it is, if
anyone wants
to read it: