LSA events update

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Aug 19 15:08:11 UTC 2005

Just a note to check in with everyone about plans for LSA 2006 in
Albuquerque.

Tutorial

Jeff and I have gotten almost all the abstracts from our tutorial speakers.

There have been a couple of small changes to the program, so I'm attaching

a new version of the proposal for y'all's enjoyment. We have deleted me and

added David Harrison (Swarthmore) and Jo Santiago (UNM), both of whom will

talk about video.

Booth

The deadline for registering for a booth isn't until October 31, so we have
plenty

of time yet to think about this. The main thing to consider are (a) money:
we

will need to come up with prob. ~$1000 and (b) time: we're going to need

people to be in the booth for 6.5 hours/day (Fri/Sat, 10AM-1PM & 2PM-5:30,

Sun 8:30-1130.) So basically 5 shifts, if you want to look at it like that.

Office hours

There is still no word about these, but I suspect they will be discussed in
the

October Bulletin. I may need an answer from people in pretty short order at

that time - it's a safe bet that office hours registration is due Oct 31
also.

Upcoming: LASSO tutorial

Gary Simons, Steve Moran (of EMELD School of Best Practice fame) and I are

doing a short tutorial on "Ensuring that digital data last: Archiving and
linguistic

resources" in Lubbock Oct. 7-9. That's the Linguistic Association of the
Southwest.

There will be herds of documentary linguists there and we get to have office
hours

after the tutorial, which is starting to seem generally like a good idea.

LSA Summer Institute 2006

Jeff says that the organizers have been told to come up with a course along

the lines of the course we would like to teach: technologies for language
documentation.

So if it's required, maybe they'll fund it, which would make things a lot
easier for us.

Our main goal at this point is to make sure these organizers know that OLAC
is the

place to go for this kind of information.

That's all the news for now!

Heidi

Heidi Johnson, PhD

Project Manager

The Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America

1 University Station C3200

The University of Texas at Austin

Austin, Texas 78712

http://www.ailla.utexas.org