LSA booth feedback

Baden Hughes badenh at CS.MU.OZ.AU
Fri Feb 4 00:46:13 UTC 2005

>> It will also be interesting to see what discernable effect, if any, the
>> OLAC booth at LSA has on usage of services like OLAC search. At the end of
>> the month I'll generate some stats from the search engine.

And the answer is no discernable effect. Numbers are akin to previous
months (although the queries are getting more interesting). I guess this
group will be interested once I write up my little report from the stats
I'm gathering.

> I wonder if we might want to do a booth AND office hours? The office
> hours are free, I think. The advantage of the office thing is that
> there would be a quiet room with a table and chairs where you could
> sit together and do something tangible. Even if we get extra tables
> in front of our booth, it's still a distracting environment.

I think the way to do this is have an exhibit booth, where people can call
past, pickup some promo literature, see a quick demo of useful services
like a search service or something.

However, if we had office hours, we could use the exhibit as a filter to
get interested folk to talk one on one with OLAC knowledgeable folks about
things like metadata creation tools, becoming a data provider, advanced
searching etc. I think if we can get both, we probably would use them.

Baden