2007 institute course

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jan 17 17:17:45 UTC 2006

Emily! You genius! This is an extremely important website
for us to know about, and it didn't even occur to me to
look for such a thing.

The deadline is March 15th. I wonder if we could dream
up a 3-week course that had only 2 instructors for the
whole 3 weeks, to be our fallback bottom-line course plan.
Then we could submit a proposal with say 4 instructors (?),
justifying the extras as best we can. If we only get two,
perhaps we could persuade some of the conference attendees
to come early and/or stay late to do some special topics.
(Unicode and exotic language character sets springs to mind...)

Maybe the first question is, who among our circle of experts
would be willing to spend 3 weeks in Stanford? Because pretty
much anybody can harangue people about labelling :-). We'd
want the course to focus on audio/video recording - tips and
techniques for making really recordings - and then using software
to produce spiffy texts: transcribing, annotation using something
like Elan, etc etc. Probably a week on recording (including
digital formats, conversions, digitizing, etc.) and 2 weeks
on texts, because those are really the hardest. Too many choices!

Heidi