LSA tutorial accepted

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Sep 28 15:56:21 UTC 2006

Good news! Our LSA '07 tutorial, "A field linguist's guide to making
long-lasting

texts and databases," has been accepted. The session will take place on

Thursday, Jan. 4, from 4:00 - 7:00.

The schedule is:

4:00-4:25

Laura Buszard-Welcher

Best practice in your back pocket: Getting the most out of the tools you
have

4:25-4:50

Deborah Anderson

A field linguist's guide to Unicode

4:50-5:15

Michael Appleby

How to use Unicode on your computer

5:15-5:40

Jessica Boynton

Transcription, time-alignment, and annotation

5:40-6:05

Naomi Fox

Using FilemakerPro to produce archivable language documentation

6:05-6:30

Connie Dickinson

The Tsafiki Text Factory

6:30-7:00

Laura Buszard-Welcher

Summary and Q&A

I suppose we'll want to schedule OLAC office hours on Friday and/or
Saturday?

We only got 2-3 visitors last year, but this year I promise to do better
signs, and maybe

just being there year after year will help people get a grip on the idea.
Since I don't go to

talks, I don't mind hanging out in the office hours place to watch the
laptops...

Heidi

Heidi Johnson, PhD

Project Manager

The Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America

1 University Station C3200

The University of Texas at Austin

Austin, Texas 78712

http://www.ailla.utexas.org