OLAC and InField

Jeff Good jcgood at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Aug 22 17:26:20 UTC 2007

Dear OLAC-Outreach,

Some of you may have already heard about this even to be held in the
summer of 2008:
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/infield/

It's a field linguistics workshop at UCSB.

I was in touch with their main contact person, Carol Genetti, and she
would be interested in getting some kind of proposal from us
outlining a series of workshops around the theme of digital
archiving, and proposing possible instructors.

A list of workshops they're considering already can be found here:
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/infield/workshops/index.html

Would other people out there (in addition to, of course, Heidi) be
interested in working on something like this? We'd want to identify a
good set of topics to be covered and then match those with an
instructor.

Some of the obvious topics (some of which are already listed in the
web site workshop list):

Archives: Why they're good and how to work with them (including
touting OLAC)

Audio and video recording: Qualitative aspects (i.e., how to create a
good social environment for recording)

Audio and video recording: Technical aspects (i.e., how to actually
get a good digital record of the setting)

Metadata: From the field to the archive

Data modeling: Understanding your lexical and textual data

Lexicon tools

Text tools

 From working version to archival version

Understanding and managing your digital workflow

Let me know what you all think,
Jeff

P.S. The official proposal deadling is 15 September.