[parislinguists] [echos] Register Now: The Architecture of the Language Faculty, June 4

RISC risc at IDF.EXT.JUSSIEU.FR
Thu Apr 8 07:06:25 UTC 2004

De: bronwen evans <bron at phonetics.ucl.ac.uk>

----------------------------------

Full details and a registration form can be found on our web-site,
http://www.chc.ucl.ac.uk/conference.

INAUGURAL CONFERENCE
CENTRE FOR HUMAN COMMUNICATION, UCL

The first major event of UCL's new Centre for Human Communication is a
one-
day conference on June 4th on 'The architecture of the language
faculty'.

Our keynote speaker, Professor Ray Jackendoff, of Brandeis University,
President of the Linguistics Society of America, is the 2003 recipient
of
the Jean-Nicod Prize, and the author of several acclaimed books on
language, most recently Foundations of Language (Oxford University
Press,
2002). He is particularly admired for his inter-disciplinary take on
language issues.  He will be speaking on 'Re-interpreting generative
grammar'.

The full programme is:

Prof. William Marslen-Wilson, FBA, Director, Medical
Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge;
Professor of Language and Cognition, University of Cambridge.
Title: Language in the Mind and the Brain: Insights from the Past Tense

Prof. Dorothy Bishop, Oxford University: Professor of Developmental
Neuropsychology
Title : Genes and language

Prof. John Local, University of York Professor of Phonetics and
Linguistics
Title: Interpreting phonetic exponents: variable domains and variable
relevance

Prof. Barbara Landau, Todd Professor of Cognitive Science, Johns Hopkins
University
Title: How do we talk about what we see

Prof. Richard Wise, Imperial College: Professor of Neurology and
Wellcome
Senior Research Fellow, Hammersmith Hospital
Title: The neurology of language

Discussants: Prof Annette Karmiloff-Smith, UCL, & Prof. Peter Howell,
UCL

The conference will take place in Beveridge Hall, Senate House,
University
of London. The day will include lunch, and end with a cocktail
reception.
There is a small registration fee (£25 for non-UCL, £10 for UCL, and no
charge for students), and registration is essential. The conference has
been made possible
by the generous support of
The British Academy, The |Laryngograph Trust, The Linguistics Society
of Great Britain,
and Oxford University Press.

Full details and a registration form can be found on our web-site,
http://chc.ucl.ac.uk/conference.

Bronwen G. Evans,
Department of Phonetics and Linguistics,
Wolfson House,
University College London,
London,
NW1 2HE.