[parislinguists] PhD stipends in Tromsoe

Peter Svenonius (by way of Ora Matushansky <matushan@noos.fr>) matushan at NOOS.FR
Wed Jan 21 18:10:48 UTC 2004

Hi, below is a letter that Curt Rice wrote regarding our announcement of
some generous PhD stipends, and since it pretty much says it all, I'm
passing it on in case any of you know of good students who you could
encourage to apply (I apologize if you already received it from him).

One thing I could add is to point out that our PhD program formally
requires one to have a Master's, which is unfortunately not perfectly
compatible with the US pattern -- the stipends are out of reach of the
typical graduating undergraduate there, but I am sending this to North
Americans as well as Europeans (and Asians!) in case you know of good
students who are in a position to obtain an MA or the equivalent by
September and who would like to enter a department that is currently in
expansion and building what we believe to be a very strong graduate
program. Another point to note is that a "position" means full support;
there are some teaching duties but not much.

Our active staff includes at the senior levels in syntax/semantics
Taraldsen, myself, Holmberg (part-time), Starke, Ramchand, Westergaard,
plus one syntactician or semanticist to be named soon, and several
post-docs and other temporary positions (Nilsen, Hroarsdottir, Vangsnes),
plus phonologists Rice, Lorentz, Nesset, Lyche (parttime), one more to be
named soon, and some in shorter-term positions (Bye, Moren). We have at the
present time about ten active PhD students in generative linguistics at
various levels, plus a sizable Master's program. The students come from
many different countries and most instruction and seminars and so on are
conducted in English.

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Best,
Peter

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to draw your attention to a recent announcement on LINGUIST. In
particular, the Center for Advanced Study in Theoretical Linguistics
(CASTL) in Tromsø has announced 3-4 Ph.D. positions to start September 1st,
2004. We are primarily interested in students planning to pursue doctorates
in generative syntax or phonology, and we would be extremely grateful for
your help in getting this announcement into the hands of the best
candidates you know.

The successful candidates must have a Masters (or equivalent) degree in
hand by September, and will have written a thesis of the highest quality.
Further details are available from the LINGUIST announcement or from our
website, both of which are given below. The deadline for applications is
Feb. 23, 2004. If you know of a potential candidate, it would be a
tremendous boost to us here if you could encourage such individuals to
write to us for more information.

Thanks very much!

LINGUIST announcement: http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-111.html#1

CASTL's homepage: http://castl.uit.no