[parislinguists] conf S.Mufwene

Lea Nash leanash at WANADOO.FR
Wed Nov 24 13:53:43 UTC 2004

L'UMR 7023 (SFL)
a le plaisir d'annoncer un exposé

Date : lundi 29 novembre 2004
Lieu : locaux SFL, 15 rue Catulienne, 93 Saint-Denis, salle 205
Heure : 10:00-13:00
Métro : Basilique de Saint-Denis
RER : Saint-Denis

10:00-13:00

Salikoko S. Mufwene
University of Chicago

LANGUAGE EVOLUTION: THE POPULATION GENETICS WAY

RESUME:

	In this presentation I argue that the study of the development of
creoles invites us loud and clear to reexamine the received doctrine
about “language transmission,” “language acquisition,” and language
speciation. Among other things, I address the “actuation question,”
submitting that the causes of language change lie in the following
factors which often act concurrently: 1) the variation that lies in
every language, which must be thought of as species; 2) the imperfect
reconstructive way in which speakers develop competence even in their
native languages; 3) the competition and selection that take place in
the ecologies in which a language is “transmitted” to learners; 4) the
day-to-day communicative events in which speakers accommodate each other
and innovate forms and structures; 5) the fact that both the internal
and external ecologies in which one learns a language vary from one
individual to another (even in the same family), 6) etc. I show that the
singularity or anomaly of the development of creoles is largely an
artifact of the way genetic linguistics has been done to date. However,
studying language evolution the population genetics way does not entail
blindly copying from the latter discipline all of its concepts and
working assumptions. It simply means allowing genetic linguistics to
question some of its working assumptions and aligning some of its
research methods with normal assumptions about the interface of
individuals’ and population behaviors.