conf Copley/Espinal

Lea Nash leanash at WANADOO.FR
Thu Nov 3 14:49:11 UTC 2005

L'UMR 7023 (SFL)
a le plaisir d'annoncer deux exposés

Date : lundi 7 novembre 2005
Lieu : locaux SFL, 15 rue Catulienne, 93 Saint-Denis, salle 205
Heure : 09:30-11:00 (BC), 11:00-12:30 (MTE)
Métro : Basilique de Saint-Denis
RER : Saint-Denis

9:30-11:00

Bridget Copley
CNRS/UMR 7023-SFL

What Kind of Animal is an Evidential?

RESUME
In this talk I will be introducing various kinds of evidentials that are
observed cross-linguistically. Since they display similarities with
aspects, modals, and performatives, I will explore the question of just
how they fit into our understanding of what meanings are possible.

11:00-12:30

M. Teresa Espinal
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona

N-words, expletive negation and negative concord in Catalan and Spanish

RESUME
In this talk I’ll focus on crosslinguistic variations on differing EN
and NC licensing in Catalan and Spanish, and I’ll argue that they are
motivated by differences in the formal features and the semantic status
of negative items, mainly n-words (Espinal 2000). Furthermore, following
Déprez (1997, 2000), I’ll show that the fact that Catalan is more
symmetric than Spanish with regard to the robust subject / object NC
asymmetry found in many Romance languages, and with regard to the
ability to license NPI both in the restrictor and in the scope of an
antiveridical / nonveridical operator is due to differences in their DP
structures.

Déprez, Viviane (1997), “ Two types of negative concord”, Probus, 9,
103-143.
Déprez, Viviane (2000), “Parallel (a)symmetries and the internal
structure of negative expressions”, Natural Language and Linguistic
Theory, 18, 253-342.
Espinal, M. Teresa (2000), “On the semantic status of n-words in Catalan
and Spanish”, Lingua, 110, 557-580.