conf F.Moltmann

Lea Nash leanash at WANADOO.FR
Mon Feb 13 16:12:58 UTC 2006

CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE !  CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE ! CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE !
CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE ! CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE !

L'UMR 7023 (SFL)
a le plaisir d'annoncer un exposé

Date : lundi 20 fevrier 2006
Lieu : Université Paris 8, Bâtiment D,  Salle 143, 93 Saint-Denis,
Heure :   11:00-12:30
Métro : ligne 13, St-Denis--Université

11:00-12:30

Friederike Moltmann
CNRS-IHPST

Weakly Referential Pronouns

RESUME :

In talk I propose a novel semantics of 'presentational pronouns' such
as English 'this' or 'that', as in 'This is Mary'. I show that such
pronouns are precisely the ones that naturally occur in socalled
'relative identity statements' such as 'This is the same woman as
that'. I will argue that they are pronouns providing reference, but not
identity conditions for their referent. This explains, on the one hand,
the special behavior of sortal and nonsortal predicates with such
pronouns and, on the other hand, accounts for problems that
philosophers thought arise with statements that, apparently, express
relative identity, that is, identity that holds between entities x and
y only relative to a sortal N.