Scott Soames Paris seminars and lecture

Friederike.Moltmann at UNIV-PARIS1.FR Friederike.Moltmann at UNIV-PARIS1.FR
Fri Apr 6 14:07:27 UTC 2007

Le Chaire d'Excellence 'Semantic Structure and Ontological Structure'
a le plaisir d'annoncer:

Scott Soames (University of Southern California, Los Angeles)

PARIS SEMINARS AND LECTURES

location: IHPST, 13 rue du Four, 75006 Paris (metro Mabillon)

SEMINAR 1:  Descriptivism vs. Millianism about Names and Natural Kind Terms

Wednesday, April 18, 11-13, IHPST

(Séminaire Matushansky/Moltmann 'Reference: Syntactic, Semantic, and
Philosophical Aspects')

Background Reading:
Saul Kripke, Naming and Necessity
Scott Soames, Beyond Rigidity, chapters 2,3,6,8
Scott Soames, ?The Philosophical Significance of the Kripkean
Necessary Aposteriori?
Scott Soames, ?Knowledge of Manifest Natural Kinds?

SEMINAR 2:  The Relevance of the Semantics / Pragmatics Interface to
the Dispute

Thursday April 19, 11-13, IHPST
(seminar Matushansky/Moltmann 'Reference: Syntactic, Semantic, and
Philosophical Aspects')

background reading:
Scott Soames, 'Naming and Asserting'
Scott Soames, 'The Gap Between Meaning and Assertion:  Why what we
literally say often differs from what our words literally mean'

LECTURE:
Actually:  The Epistemology and Metaphysics of Actuality and
Possibility, plus the semantics and pragmatics of our talk about them

Monday, April 23, 14-16, IHPST
(Philform)

All articles by Soames, including the article ?Actually?. on which the
lecture is based, are available at:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~soames/

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.