seminaire reference juin 27: Pablo Rychter

Friederike.Moltmann at UNIV-PARIS1.FR Friederike.Moltmann at UNIV-PARIS1.FR
Thu Jun 21 06:54:50 UTC 2007

Cher-e-s collegues,

Dans le cadre du séminaire sur la référence (IHPST) nous avons le
plaisir d'annoncer que la prochaine séance animé par Pablo Rychter
(Barcelona  LOGOS group):

June 27, 2007
IHPST
13 rue du Four
75006 Paris

   Stage Theory and Proper Names.

Stage theory is a view about the nature of ordinary objects
(artefacts, animals, persons,etc). More precisely, it is a view about
how ordinary objects are located in time.
   According to the view, ordinary objects are instantaneous –they
exist at only one instant. In the current philosophical debate on
persistence, stage theory is defended by Ted Sider  and K. Hawley. In
this paper I focus on the under-discussed issue of what stage
theorists should say about the semantics of ordinary proper names,
like ‘London’ or ‘G.W. Bush’. I will consider the sketchy remarks that
stage theorists actually make about this issue (section 2), present
some problems they face, and finally offer what I take to be the best
view available for them (section 3). Before addressing the issue of
proper names, I will briefly present stage theory, discussing its
background ontological assumptions and some of its major motivations
(section 1).

--
Friederike Moltmann
Directrice de recherche

http://semantics.univ-paris1.fr

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.