Deux exposés d'Asaf BACHRACH au DEC-ENS

Lea Nash leanash at WANADOO.FR
Mon Mar 12 19:52:58 UTC 2007

Dans le cadre du programme d'échange MIT-France entre le DEC-ENS et le
Département de Linguistique du MIT, Asaf BACHRACH (MIT, Linguistics
Department) donnera deux exposés à l'ENS les 23 et 26 mars prochains,
aux horaires et salles indiqués ci-après:

1) "Antecedent Contained Deletion as VP sharing"

Vendredi 23 mars, 15h-17h
Salle de séminaire du DEC - ENS, 29, rue d'Ulm - 75005 -  RdC.

2) "Parametric study of visual word processing combining MEG and fMRI"

Lundi 26 mars, de 15h30 à 17h30
Salle Beckett - ENS, 45, rue d'Ulm - 75005 Paris

___________________________________
Antecedent Contained Deletion as VP sharing

Vendredi 23 mars, 15h-17h - DEC

Asaf BACHRACH (MIT, Linguistics)
(Joint work with Roni Katzir, MIT)

Résumé: Antecedent Contained Deletion (ACD) is generally assumed to
involve VP ellipsis (VPE). Under this view, either QR or extraposition
of the relative clause applies in the matrix VP to produce an
appropriate antecedent VP.

i) John read every book Mary did
ii) John [read x] [every book Mary did [read x]]

In this talk we discuss a number of puzzles for the VPE account. We show
that under this account ACD requires DP movement which violates known
locality conditions on both QR and extraposition. We will present a new
account of ACD, where VPE is replaced with VP sharing. The VP moves out
of the relative clause and re-merges as  the matrix VP. This account
captures the correct locality conditions on ACD as well as a number of
other features of this construction.

Parametric study of visual word processing combining MEG and fMRI

Lundi 26 mars, 15h30-17h30 - ENS, Salle Beckett

Asaf BACHRACH (MIT, Linguistics)
(Joint work with John Gabrieli, Susan Gabrieli, Alec Marantz and Dafna
Palti)

Résumé: I will report preliminary  findings of a multi-modal imaging
study of visual word processing designed to test the possibility of
analyzing single trials of imaging experiments via correlations with
continuous stimulus variables (Hauk et al 2006). Visual word processing
has been one of the central  domains  of research  in the cognitive, and
neurocognitive,  study of language. While behavioral paradigms have
provided much insight into to the role of a number of lexical dimensions
in word processing, reaction time, being a delayed, dense, measure shed
only little light on the fine temporal structure of lexical access.
Hemodynamic imaging technics on their own allow for the localization of
different aspects of visual word processing but lack the temporal
resolution that is required for the interpretation of the localization
results. Electrophysiological methods provide high temporal resolution
but  lack in spatial resolution. Our multi-modal study benefits from the
high spatial resolution of fMRI and the temporal resolution of MEG.
Another problem in the study of lexical access (and of language more
generally) has been the fact that many different  lexical dimensions
(e.g. frequency and length) covary  to a very high degree.  This
property makes the widely used subtraction design  problematic.
Following the approach of Hauk et al, we opted for a fully parametric
design. Subjects performance on a lexical decision task was monitored
using Magnetoencephalography (MEG) and trial related Functional Magnetic
Resonance Imaging (fMRI) (two separate sessions). In the parametric
design, each item was coded for 'string properties' (length, average
bigram count and size of orthographic neighborhood) and 'lemma
properties' (token frequency and imageability). Parameters were drawn
from The English Lexicon Project (Balota et al 2002) and MRC
Psycholinguistic Database (Wilson 1988). Words were chosen to vary
continuously along all stimulus dimensions and such that the stimulus
variables themselves were maximally decorrelated. The fMRI data provided
spatial localization of parameter-related activation while the MEG data
was used for temporal localization, with individual trial data
correlated with stimulus variables ms by ms. Furthermore, individual
subject  structural MRI and fMRI data were used to constrain the MEG
forward model (MNE software,  Martinos Center MGH). In this talk I will
discuss in particular spatio-temporal activation patterns in and around
the Word Form Area (Cohen et al 2000) in the context of the debate
regarding the putative role of this area in visual word processing.