prochaines séance(s) séminaire référence

Friederike.Moltmann at UNIV-PARIS1.FR Friederike.Moltmann at UNIV-PARIS1.FR
Thu May 24 11:35:28 UTC 2007

Nous avons le plaisir d'annoncer la prochaine séance du séminaire Reference:

Mercredi, Mai 30, 2007
11-13 h, IHPST, 13 rue du Four, 75006 Paris (metro Mabillon)

James Pustejovsky (Brandeis University):

The Dynamics of Polysemy and Coercion

abstract:
Recently, there has emerged a new appreciation of the complexity at
play in the interpretation of polysemy. Two classes of parameters
have been broadly identified as contributing to the interpretation of
polysemous expressions: more complex lexical representations, and a
means of incorporating local context compositionally. In this talk, I
formalize this distinction as that of inherent versus selectional
polysemy, and demonstrate that polysemy cannot be modeled adequately
without enriching the compositional mechanisms available to the
language. In particular, lexically driven operations of coercion and
type selection provide for contextualized interpretations of
expressions, which would otherwise not exhibit polysemy. I contrast
this with the view that it is not possible to maintain a distinction
between semantic and pragmatic ambiguity. I will argue that a strong
distinction between pragmatic and semantic modes of interpretation
can be maintained, and is in fact desirable, if we wish to model the
complexity of contributing factors in compositionality in language.

les prochaines séances du séminaire Reference:

Juin 6: Ora et Friederike:
          Measure Phrases and Related Nonreferential NPs

Juin 13: Friederike:
          Sortals: Old and New Roles in Ontology and in Semantics

Juin 20: Isabelle Roy (Tromsoe):
          Sortals and Adjectives

exceptionellement jeudi (!):
jeudi, Juin 28, 11-13h:
          Alex Oliver (University of Cambridge):
          What is Pluralreference?

fin du séminaire

--
Friederike Moltmann
Directrice de recherche

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.