Conférence Susanne Carroll

Bridget Copley bridget.copley at SFL.CNRS.FR
Fri Mar 14 11:00:39 UTC 2008

L'Université Américaine de Paris a le plaisir d'annoncer le séminaire
suivant sur l'acquisition d'une langue seconde :

Susanne E. Carroll, University of Calgary
"Salience in segmentation and second language learning: Processing
output? Or acquisition input?"

DATE : 20 mars 2008 à 17h00
LIEU : 31 av Bosquet, Paris
METRO : Ecole Militaire
CONTACT : Rebekah Rast (rrast at aup.fr ou rebrast at gmail.com) - Veuillez
nous contacter si vous pensez
assister à ce programme et apporter une pièce d'identité le jour du
séminaire.

Résumé :

Segmentation refers to the ability to impose discrete units on a
continuous speech signal. Segmentation is of interest to first
language acquisition researchers because of claims that the initial
segmentation of sound units of various sizes may help 'bootstrap' the
learner into the morpho-syntax before the child has a grammar of the
target language (Fernald & McRoberts 1995). Second language
acquisition (SLA) researchers have been less interested in
bootstrapping as a route into grammar due to overwhelming evidence
that older learners rely on the L1 grammar as a path to the L2 morpho-
syntax. Nonetheless, segmentation gets some attention due to evidence
that in early stages child and adult L2ers often segment 'formulae' or
extended stretches of speech which are not morpho-syntactically
analysed (Wong Fillmore 1972; Ellis 1996, 2003). In addition, there
are claims that the 'ends' of sentences are more salient and hence
better positions for segmentation and word learning than the
'middles' (Barcroft & VanPatten 1997), and that high pitch is
intrinsically salient (Klein 1986).
Although the SLA literature often refers vaguely to 'stress',
confounding rhythmic phenomena (lexical stress) with intonational
phenomena (focal accent), I will limit myself to a discussion of
intonation and its potential role in segmenting words and phrases. In
my presentation, I will attempt to flesh out the logic of the
acquisition issues, showing how a number of separate issues are often
confounded. I will then discuss my own experimental research (target
language = German) as well as some studies involving the acquisition
of miniature artificial languages to show how difficult it is to draw
conclusions about cause and effect, starting point vs. end point of
acquisition on the basis of current data. I will claim that this is
not merely a problem of 'not enough data!' but rather a problem of a
lack of theorising about how processing interacts with acquisition
mechanisms and how acquisition changes processing.