Contacts de langues / M. Mous - P. Muysken / 18 dec.

Isabelle LEGLISE leglise at VJF.CNRS.FR
Mon Nov 24 09:11:22 UTC 2008

*Jeudi 18 décembre* - 2 interventions de collègues invités dans le
domaine du contact de langues.

*Maarten Mous* (Univ. Leiden) - 9h30-12h

*The role of conscious effort in language contact *(cf. résumé plus bas)*
*

Dans le cadre du programme "Langues en contacts" de la Fédération CNRS
Typologie et Universaux Linguistiques
Axe : "Typologies, appareils théoriques et méthodes : propositions dans
le domaine du contact de langues"
(Coord : I. Léglise et B. Migge)

----------------
*Jeudi 18 décembre*

*Pieter Muysken* (Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen) - 13h30-16h.

*The development of Ecuadorian Quechua -- restructuring or substrate
*(cf. résumé plus bas)

Dans le cadre du programme du CELIA (UMR 8133)
 "Contacts de langues : pratiques langagières, variations et changements
linguistiques"
(Coord : I. Léglise)

*****
Résumés :

*Maarten Mous* (Univ. Leiden)

*The role of conscious effort in language contact*

Language change is largely thought of as happening mainly unconsciously
while in some cases there is a role for conscious control. I will start
my presentation with my view on language contact in an overview of
prolegomena towards a model of language contact. From there I want to
concentrate on this aspect by examining the mechanism used in language
varieties in which people try to control their language for identity
purposes, or out of fear or respect. People use similar strategies in
such parasitic languages: registers of respect, secret languages, argot,
initiation languages, communication with spirits, youth languages. I
present the universals of language control, relate strategy to function
and examine the limits of language control in the effect on morphology,
the universal properties, for example in the stability of
morpho-syntactic properties. I also address the (im)possibilities of
recoverability of the effects of controlled language change. If time
permits, I would like to discuss the nature of consciousness in this
respect.

*Pieter Muysken* (CLS - Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen)

*The development of Ecuadorian Quechua -- restructuring or substrate**
*
 Ecuadorian Quechua occupies a special position in the Quechuan language
family, with a number of features which set it apart from all other
varieties. Arguably, this is due to its late consolidation during the
Spanish colonial period, after having been brought to Ecuador during the
Inca expansion. In this paper, (a) I discuss the differences between
Ecuadorian Quechua and related Peruvian Quechua II varieties; (b) I
argue that these differences emerged gradually, during the colonial
period; (c) try to distinguish which of these differences are due to
substrate influence from the Barbacoan and Jivaroan families, and which
are due to autonomous processes of restructuring as a Andean creole.

Si vous souhaitez participer ou recevoir le programme de nos journées
d'étude : leglise at vjf.cnrs.fr

**Plan d'accès au campus CNRS de Villejuif :
_http://www.vjf.cnrs.fr/celia/Fr/Plan.htm_

__ <http://www.vjf.cnrs.fr/celia/Fr/Plan.htm>