conférence de T. Proto le 03-11-08 à Paris

AROUI Jean-Louis aroui at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Fri Oct 24 10:51:21 UTC 2008

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous convier, dans le cadre des séances de son
séminaire (http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article667),

le lundi 3 novembre 2008
10h00-12h00,
C.N.R.S., 59 rue Pouchet, 75017 Paris (métros : Guy Moquet ou Brochant, ligne
13),  salle 159

à une conférence deTeresa Proto (CNRS, UMR 7023)

intitulée

"What Methods of Analysis for German Medieval Folk Songs?"

Résumé :
Starting from the philological/editorial work underlying the investigation of
a corpus of 14th century German folk songs, I will try to single out possible
criteria for a formal analysis of medieval monophonic chants belonging to
this tradition.
By the example of the < Geisslerlieder > (flagellant songs) I will illustrate
the implications and contributions of the different analytical attempts by
musicologists Ruwet (1966), Arom (1969) and Lidov (2005) who concentrated on
the problem of segmentation and hierarchy and the role of repetition in
music.
With respect to the texts, I will discuss issues regarding metrics and rhythm
and consider the variation in pattern of single stanzas or lines as they’ve
been handed down to us in manuscripts.
With regard to the interfacing of language and music, I will not offer any
specific rule for text‑to‑tune alignment in German medieval folk songs,
though relying on some principles formulated by Noel/Vetterle, but I will
rather point out a few peculiarities which may serve as a starting point for
a text setting analysis.