conférence Bernhard Nickel (Harvard) Genericity : in duction and inquiry

Alda Mari mari.alda at WANADOO.FR
Tue Sep 30 16:10:31 UTC 2008

Chers tous,

dans le cadre du séminaire de l'ANR "GENIUS: Genericity: Interpretation and Uses", nous sommes heureux de vous convier à une conférence de

Bernhard NICKEL (Harvard)
"Two approaches to generics: induction vs. inquiry"

le Lundi 6 Octobre 2008
15h30 - 17h30
à l'ENS
29 rue d'Ulm
salle du DEC

Cordialement,
Alda Mari

Abstract:

I contrast two approaches to the interpretation of
  generics such as `ravens are black:' majority-based views, on which
   they are about what is the case most of the time, and inquiry-based
   views, on which they are about a feature we focus on in inquiry. I
   argue that majority-based views face far more systematic
   counterexamples than has previously been supposed. They cannot
   account for generics about kinds with multiple characteristic
   properties, such as `elephants live in Africa and Asia' or `roses
   are red, yellow, white, or black.' I then go on to sketch an
   inquiry-based view.