Pr ésentation de Mickael Becker demain Jeudi 16 décembre à l'UFRL Paris 7

faustista faustista at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 16 14:35:31 UTC 2009

Learning hidden structure in paradigms/
Michael Becker, Harvard University

Speakers have a rich and detailed knowledge of the their lexicon, which they evidence in their treatment of novel words ("wug-testing"). I will show that this knowledge is biased by naturalness: The same kinds of relations that cause regular processes in some languages, regulate irregular processes in other languages. This means that this lexical knowledge is mediated by the grammar.
I propose an OT-based model in which regular and irregular morpho-phonology is derived from the same set of universal constraints, CON.
This theory requires derivations to proceed "inside-out" (Hayes 1995, 1998,1999). It adds the benefits of OT-based work to the single surface base hypothesis (Albright 2002, 2008a).

La présentation aura lieu dans le cadre du linglunch de l'UFRL de Paris 7, au 30, rue du Château des Rentiers, Mo Olympiades.