sfl-cause/temptypac: Wolff 25/06/09

Bridget Copley bridget.copley at SFL.CNRS.FR
Thu Jun 11 12:29:26 UTC 2009

Le groupe de recherche sur la causalité dans le langage et la
cognition du Laboratoire "Structures Formelles du Langage" et le
projet "Temporalité: Typologie et Acquisition" (temptypac) de la
Fédération "Typologie et Universaux Linguistiques" du CNRS ont le
plaisir
d'annoncer un exposé:

"Absent Causes, Present Effects: How Omissions Cause Events"

Phillip WOLFF
Emory University

Résumé :

Results sometimes occur from absences, as when we say 'Lack of water
caused the plant to wilt' or 'The absence of nicotine causes
withdrawal'. The phenomenon of causation by omission has been viewed
as an insurmountable problem for theories of causation that specify
causation in terms of forces or energy but not for theories that
specify causation in terms of statistical or counterfactual
dependencies. In my talk, I describe a new account of causation that
challenges this assumption. In the force theory, absences can be
causal when they involve the removal or non-realization of a force,
which then leads to an effect. Evidence in support of this account is
provided in a series of experiments in which people classified complex
3D animations depicting effects resulting from the removal of forces.
The findings not only reconcile how causation by omission can be
grounded in the physical world, but also how people designate which
absences, amongst the potentially infinite number of absences, are
causal.

lecture proposée:
Wolff, P. (2007) "Representing Causation," dans {Journal of
Experimental Psychology: General}, Vol. 136, No. 1, 82–111.
http://listes.services.cnrs.fr/wws/d_read/sfl-cause/Wolff2007.pdf