[IHPST] Intensive seminars: F. Moltmann & G. Priest (May 24-26), K. Fine (June 1-3)

Arapinis Alexandra arapinis_alexandra at YAHOO.FR
Fri Apr 30 11:27:43 UTC 2010

In connection with the third Semantics and Philosophy in Europe
colloquium

(SPE) in Paris, May 27-29 2010, we would like to announce two intensive

three-day seminars preceding and following SPE:

[1] Existence and Non-Existence

http://semantics.univ-paris1.fr/index.php/visiteur/activite/afficher/activite/118

Friederike Moltmann (IHPST, Paris) and Graham Priest (Melbourne and
CUNY)

Dates: May 24: 10.30-13, 15.00 - 17.30

      May 25: 10.30-13, 15.00 - 17.30

      May 26: 10.30-13, 15.00 - 17.30

Place: IHPST, Paris

Seminar Description:

Existence is a puzzling notion. Some have held that it is not a property
 at

all. Some have held that it is a property that some objects have, but
not

others.  Some have held that it is expressed by the particular
quantifier.

 Some have held that quantification has nothing to do with existence. In

this workshop we will discuss the various views of existence from a

historical, a philosophical, as well as a linguistic point of view. We
will

present novel developments on the topic, confronting in particular
recent

linguistic work on constructions involving existence with new
developments

in philosophical logic as well as historical philosophical views.

[2] State Space Semantics

Kit Fine (NYU) (with Friederike Moltmann)

http://semantics.univ-paris1.fr/index.php/visiteur/activite/afficher/activite/104

Dates:   June 1: 14.30 - 16.30 (preparatory session (Moltmann)) and
17.00 -

20.00

        June 2: 10.30-12.30, 14.30 - 17.00

        June 3: 10.30-12.30, 14.30 - 17.00

Place: IHPST, Paris

I propose an alternative to the usual ontology and semantics of possible

worlds, in which possible worlds give way to possible states of affairs.

These possible states have a rich logical and mereological structure,
which

can be exploited in giving a more satisfactory semantics for
counterfactuals

and conditionals and in casting new light on such topics as the

determinate-determinable distinction, the concept of ground,
verisimilitude,

belief revision, and the frame problem in AI. I will focus most of my

attention on the case of counterfactuals and will attempt to show that

certain puzzles about their use can only be satisfactorily resolved if
we

substitute a state space semantics for the usual possible worlds
semantics.

Reading material, including a number of published papers by the
instructors,

will be distributed to registered participants in advance.

Registration fee:

Registration before 15 May: 120 euros per course (200 for both)

Registration after 15 May: 150 euros per course (250 for both)

Fees payable in cash upon arrival.

To register:

Send an email with "SPE Seminar Registration" in the subject to:

alexandra.arapinis at malix.univ-paris1.fr. Be sure to include your name,

affiliation, and

which seminar(s) you wish to register for. You will then receive further

information about the payment of the registration fee as well as the
content of

the seminars.

Registration fee waiver:

The registration fee may be waived in exceptional cases, for
participants

with non-permament positions. Please send a letter of request, a CV, and

letter of recommendation to: alexandra.arapinis at malix.univ-paris1.fr